Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Biggest Paper Mache Project 

I was fixing the files in my laptop when I found these photos!:) I can't believe I made this project more than a year ago already. All for the love of Gabby <3 Read on.

When my nephew was little, he super loved Dibo the Gift Dinosaur. So when he was about to celebrate his first birthday, I decided to make him a paper mache Dibo that he can hug or even sit on. I had no idea how to make it but I just went through the whole process. I guess with intense divine intervention and some cosmic alignment, I made it!!! Even I was surprised how BIG it turned out! 


I stacked big computer boxes and Styrofoam for the structure. Then I stuffed it with crumpled newspaper to create its form. Then, packaging tape everywhere! 



Time for the actual paper mache. I tore strips of newspaper and stuck it to the structure using a combination of white glue and water. I think I made 2 layers of this.



Now for casting! I applied 3 layers of toilet paper and painted it over with white glue and water. Thanks to my awesome assistant (Hi Dad!), i finished it faster. 




Then....


Some paint and a sprinkle of MAGIC! 


Hi Dibo!:)



This is Dibo on site, collecting birthday presents for Gabby. It was all worth it!:)



I hope my next nephew won't ask for transformers...;)

1 comment:

  1. How about your nieces? Maia likes the whole cast of sesame street! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete